The Student Cohort domain represents a wide variety of collections of students that are distinct from class rosters or program participants. This could include students that are tagged for interventions or students tagged for the purposes of tracking or analysis, such as a school principal's "watch list."
This domain contains:
- The Cohort entity, which can be associated with Intervention entities via the StudentInterventionAssociation entity.
- The StudentCohortAssociation entity, which captures the assignment of students to cohorts.
- The StaffCohortAssociation entity, which captures the association of staff members to a cohort of students.
The key concepts include the following:
- The Student Cohort domain is a general-purpose structure for tracking and reporting on groups of students. A cohort can represent students participating in a program, students whose educational outcomes will be part of an analysis, or simply a list of students fitting a particular criteria of interest.
- Cohorts may be associated with programs and may have staff associated with the cohort that is providing services, oversight, or sponsorship.
- The Cohort entity should not be confused with the graduation year cohort, which is defined by enrollment and grade level data.
This section contains reference information for the Student Cohort domain model.
Student Cohort Model Entities
|Cohort||This entity represents any type of list of designated students for tracking, analysis, or intervention.|
|EducationOrganization||This entity represents any public or private institution, organization, or agency that provides instructional or support services to students or staff at any level.|
|Intervention||An implementation of an instructional approach focusing on the specific techniques and materials used to teach a given subject.|
|Program||This entity represents any program designed to work in conjunction with, or as a supplement to, the main academic program. Programs may provide instruction, training, services, or benefits through federal, state, or local agencies. Programs may also include organized extracurricular activities for students.|
This entity represents a setting in which organized instruction of course content is provided, in-person or otherwise, to one or more students for a given period of time. A course offering may be offered to more than one section.
This entity represents an individual who performs specified activities for any public or private education institution or agency that provides instructional and/or support services to students or staff at the early childhood level through high school completion. For example, this includes:
|StaffCohortAssociation||This association indicates the Staff associated with a cohort of students.|
|StaffSectionAssociation||This association indicates the class sections to which a staff member is assigned.|
This entity represents an individual for whom instruction, services, and/or care are provided in an early childhood, elementary, or secondary educational program under the jurisdiction of a school, education agency or other institution or program. A student is a person who has been enrolled in a school or other educational institution.
|StudentCohortAssociation||This association represents the Cohort(s) for which a student is designated.|
|StudentInterventionAssociation||This association indicates the students participating in an intervention.|
|StudentSectionAssociation||This association indicates the course sections to which a student is assigned.|
UDM Documentation Contents
Explore the Ed-Fi Unified Data Model:
Student Cohort Model