- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
A starter kit illustrating the use of Microsoft Power BI to create meaningful visualizations from an Ed-Fi ODS. Includes reports at the district, school, teacher, and student level for early warning indicators described in the Balfanz model. This is release 2, utilizing the Analytics Middle Tier.
The Sample Education Data Analytics project is a project to illustrate how to use Power BI, a business intelligence (BI) toolset, to create meaningful visualizations from analysis of data contained in an Ed-Fi ODS. The result is a set of reports at the district, school, teacher, and student level for early warning indicators described in the Balfanz model.
The proof of concept was intended to explore a few key questions on behalf of the Ed-Fi community, and to generate data that can help community members shape their plans and investments. Those questions were:
- What are the capabilities of emerging commercial off the shelf (COTS) toolsets for business intelligence?
- How can those COTS BI toolkits be applied to the Ed-Fi operational datastore and data in Ed-Fi format?
- How can organizations effectively deploy COTS BI toolkits based on Ed-Fi at scale, including considering both security and ease-of-use? For this question, the POC pursued integration with the K–12 identity platform strategy of Microsoft.
- Code: https://github.com/Ed-Fi-Exchange-OSS/EWS-Starter-Kits/tree/main/PowerBI
PDF documentation above describes installation in Azure. On-premises installation should also be feasible, see Power Bi Starter Kit On-Premise Installation Notes for more information.
- By: Ed-Fi Alliance
- License terms: Ed-Fi License
- Released: December 18, 2018
- Updated: June 2020
At a Glance
Generation: Tech Suite 2 and Tech Suite 3
For: ODS/API v2.x and ODS/API v3.x