- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
This article describes the steps needed to populate an Ed-Fi ODS with sample XML data, using the Ed-Fi Console Bulk Loader.
The steps can be summarized as:
|Table of Contents|
Detail on each step follows.
Step 1. Build the Ed-Fi Console Bulk Loader
- Ensure that you have an instance of the Ed-Fi ODS / API running locally that has been set up following the Getting Started - Installation Steps.
- The Bulk Load Console project is built as part of the overall solution. You can verify that the console application (EdFi.Ods.BulkLoad.Console.exe) has been built by browsing to <source directory>\Ed-Fi-ODS-Implementation\Application\EdFi.Ods.BulkLoad.Console\bin\Debug.
Step 2. Download Scripts and Sample Data
Download the "Bulk Console Loader Script" (to the right) to a local folder (we recommend C:\Ed-Fi-SampleDataLoad). The file contains scripts to initiate the Bulk Console Loader and a copy of the Manifest file used by the console loader.
- Navigate to the downloaded file directory for "Bulk Console Loader Script" and download the Sample XML and Descriptors to Sample Data folder (C:\Ed-Fi-SampleDataLoad\Sample Data).
Step 3. Run the Load Script and Populate the EdFi_ODS_Empty Database
- From a PowerShell session, navigate to the downloaded file directory for "Bulk Console Loader Script" (i.e., C:\Ed-Fi-SampleDataLoad).
- Execute LoadEmptyDatabaseWithSampleData.ps1.
The script will reset your EdFi-Ods-Empty database and load all sample data in a single script run.
If your local copy of EdFi.Ods.BulkLoad.Console is in a different location than the root of the drive, you can modify the LoadEmptyDatabaseWithSampleData.ps1 script to adjust.
The script contains a parameter that defines the local path to the Ed-Fi-ODS-Implementation repository. This is set by default to "C:\Ed-Fi-ODS-Implementation" but can be changed to be appropriate for your environment.
You may encounter failures due to multithreading race conditions described in
the first time you run the console bulk loader. To resolve the issue, open LoadEmptyDatabaseWithSampleData.ps1 file and comment line that resets EdFi-Ods-Empty database and run the same files through a second time.
Jira showSummary false server Ed-Fi Issue Tracker columns key,summary,type,created,updated,due,assignee,reporter,priority,status,resolution serverId e04b01cb-fd08-30cd-a7d6-c8f664ef7691 key ODS-2096
Step 4. Provision the EdFi_ODS_Populated_Template Database
- Back up the EdFi_ODS_Empty database.
- Restore the backup you just made with the name EdFi_ODS_Populated_Template.
- Create a Sandbox using the Ed-Fi ODS / API Admin Console.
- Use the database created as the source of data for loading dashboards and other activities.
The following GitHub link contains a PowerShell script and console bulk loader manifest files to assist with loading an Ed-Fi ODS / API datastore using sample XML data.
The following GitHub links contain the sample XML files and the as-shipped Ed-Fi Descriptor XML.