- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
Teaching and Learning
The Teaching and Learning domain represents the following concepts:
- The course catalog, representing the course definitions and course offerings available at a school in each session
- The student’s class enrollments in sections and the teacher(s) assigned to that section
- Early childhood enrollments in programs and the staff members related to that program
The model is based upon multiple levels of definition, as follows:
- A Course entity represents the definition of the course, its characteristics, and its mapping to LearningStandards or LearningObjectives. A course may be defined a state, LEA or school level.
- The CourseOffering entity represents a course that is offered by a school during a session. The CourseOffering will have a LocalCourseCode and may have a LocalCourseTitle.
- A school will have one or more sections for each CourseOffering. Students are enrolled in specific sections. Each Section entity will have one or more assigned staff, will typically meet in a specific location in the school, and will be assigned a ClassPeriod entity for the session. Since early learning teaching and learning is based on programs, students are enrolled by association to the Program and Staff entities as well.
Teaching and Learning, Course Catalog Model
A school will have one or more Sections for each CourseOffering. Students are enrolled in specific Sections. Each Section will have one or more assigned Staff, will typically meet in a specific location in the school, and be assigned a ClassPeriod for the Session.
Teaching and Learning, Sections and Programs Model
Teaching and Learning Model Entities
This entity represents the designation of a regularly scheduled series of class meetings at designated times and days of the week.
This educational entity represents the organization of subject matter and related learning experiences provided for the instruction of students on a regular or systematic basis.
This entity represents an entry in the course catalog of available courses offered by the school during a session.
This entity represents any public or private institution, organization, or agency that provides instructional or support services to students or staff at any level.
This entity represents identified learning objectives for courses in specific grades.
This entity is a sub-element of a learning objective consisting of a precise statement of the expectation of a student's proficiency.
This entity represents the physical space where students gather for a particular class/section. The Location may be an indoor or outdoor area designated for the purpose of meeting the educational needs of students.
This entity represents any program designed to work in conjunction with, or as a supplement to, the main academic program. Programs may provide instruction, training, services, or benefits through federal, state, or local agencies. Programs may also include organized extracurricular activities for students.
This entity represents an educational organization that includes staff and students who participate in classes and educational activity groups.
This entity represents a setting in which organized instruction of course content is provided, in-person or otherwise, to one or more students for a given period of time. A course offering may be offered to more than one section.
This entity represents the prescribed span of time when an education institution is open, instruction is provided and students are under the direction and guidance of teachers and/or education institution administration. A session may be interrupted by one or more vacations.
This entity represents an individual who performs specified activities for any public or private education institution or agency that provides instructional and/or support services to students or staff at the early childhood level through high school completion. For example, this includes:
This association indicates the Staff associated with a program.
This association indicates the School(s) to which a staff member provides instructional services.
This association indicates the class sections to which a staff member is assigned.
This entity represents an individual for whom instruction, services, and/or care are provided in an early childhood, elementary, or secondary educational program under the jurisdiction of a school, education agency or other institution or program. A student is a person who has been enrolled in a school or other educational institution.
This association represents the Program(s) that a student participates in or is served by.
This association represents the School in which a student is enrolled. The semantics of enrollment may differ slightly by state. Non-enrollment relationships between a student and an education organization may be described using the StudentEducationOrganizationAssociation.
This association indicates the course sections to which a student is assigned.
Teaching and Learning Model