The Student Attendance domain represents both daily attendance and class period (i.e., section) attendance. Absences and tardies can also be noted.
This domain contains:
- An AttendanceEvent entity which connects Student entities to Section entities. The AttendanceEvent can model attendance, tardies, and absences for a particular class or school day.
- A SectionAttendanceTakenEvent, which models information about the taking of attendance, primarily the date on which attendance was captured.
The key concepts include the following:
- Attendance in the Ed-Fi data model can be affirmative, meaning that both attendance and absence are recorded, or can be “exception only” reporting, providing attendance events only for absences and tardies.
- Attendance in the Ed-Fi data model is event-based, so every instance of being absent or tardy is recorded and tied to a specific date. There is no built-in aggregate value (as is sometimes used by older SISs), though the Transcript entity can provide some level of aggregation.
- The SectionAttendanceEventTaken entity is strictly for recording that attendance was taken on a specific day for a specific section (optionally) by a specific staff member. It doesn’t affect individual student attendance values within the Ed-Fi data model, but can be useful when analyzing trends in attendance over the course of a year.
- Attendance can be taken for a program, a section (such as a class period), or overall for a day by association with a Session entity.
This section contains reference information for the Student Attendance domain model.
Student Attendance Model Entities
|Program||This entity represents any program designed to work in conjunction with, or as a supplement to, the main academic program. Programs may provide instruction, training, services, or benefits through federal, state, or local agencies. Programs may also include organized extracurricular activities for students.|
|School||This entity represents an educational organization that includes staff and students who participate in classes and educational activity groups.|
This entity represents a setting in which organized instruction of course content is provided, in-person or otherwise, to one or more students for a given period of time. A course offering may be offered to more than one section.
|SectionAttendanceTakenEvent||Captures attendance taken event for given section.|
|Session||A term in the school year, generally a unit of time into which courses are scheduled, instruction occurs and by which credits are awarded. Sessions may be interrupted by vacations or other events.|
This entity represents an individual who performs specified activities for any public or private education institution or agency that provides instructional and/or support services to students or staff at the early childhood level through high school completion. For example, this includes:
This entity represents an individual for whom instruction, services, and/or care are provided in an early childhood, elementary, or secondary educational program under the jurisdiction of a school, education agency or other institution or program. A student is a person who has been enrolled in a school or other educational institution.
|StudentProgramAssociation||This association represents the Program(s) that a student participates in or is served by.|
|StudentProgramAttendanceEvent||This event entity represents the recording of whether a student is in attendance to receive or participate in program services.|
|StudentSchoolAttendanceEvent||This event entity represents the recording of whether a student is in attendance for a school day.|
|StudentSectionAssociation||This association indicates the course sections to which a student is assigned.|
|StudentSectionAttendanceEvent||This event entity represents the recording of whether a student is in attendance for a section.|
Student Attendance Model