The Ed-Fi API Publisher is a utility that moves data from one Ed-Fi ODS/API instance to another ODS/API instance of the same version (i.e ODS/API 6.1 → ODS/API 6.1). It operates as a standard API client against both API endpoints (source and target) and thus it does not require any special network configuration, direct ODS database access or a particular database engine. From a data security/privacy perspective, it is also subject to all authorization performed by the Ed-Fi ODS API endpoints with which it communicates.
The API Publisher is made to satisfy this user story:
As an IT professional at the state or district level, my objective is to securely and accurately transfer data between ODS/API instances of the same version. This ensures minimal data transmission errors, maintains data quality, and enables real-time reporting and analytics.
Primary features of API Publisher includes:
- Publishing, or copying, data between Ed-Fi ODS/API instances of the same version. API Publisher supports a push, pull and publish strategies, see README.md for more details.
- Retry support for failed records
- Remediation scripting support to attempt to fix re-occurring data publishing errors using Node.Js
- Ed-Fi extension support including Education Preparation Programs
- Change queries, which will allow only changed data to be copied in subsequent runs
The Ed-Fi API Publisher is currently at version v1.0. Below are links to access the binary package and the Docker container for API Publisher:
- The latest release of API Publisher is v1.0.0:
Documentation for the API Publisher is available online at GitHub via the following links:
- Developer Documentation
- README.md - A technical overview of Ed-Fi API Publisher with quick start instructions.
- API-Connection-Management.md - Reference for using Configuration Stores with Ed-Fi API Publisher
- API-Publisher-Configuration.md - Reference for API Publisher's configuration with details for each option
- Considerations-for-API-Hosts.md - Considerations for Ed-Fi API hosts and incorporating into production workflows
- Extensibility.md - Developer notes for extensions and modifications.
- Known-Issues-Details.md - Known issues with full details
- Remediations.md - Information on using remediation scripts for failed POSTs
- Other Items
The API Publisher tool is licensed through the Apache 2.0 license.